Saturday, July 7, 2012

Last Artisan Entry: Paper Beaded Jewelry

Well, this post wraps up my 10 Artisan Award entries.  This is my final 3D project.  I made a bunch of paper beads with the Cheeful Treat DSP, a hostess option from the previous catalog.  To make the beads you use narrow triangle strips of paper and roll them tightly over a toothpick then glue then end down to hold in place.  I then strung them on fishing line and painted them with Modge Podge.  Once they dried I sprayed them with a matte acrylic sealer. 

Once the beads were done I decided to make my very first set of earrings and matching two-strand bracelet.  I am so proud of how they turned out!  Making jewelry is harder than I thought!  I added SU's Filigree brads for decorative finishes to both, plus a Basic Rhinestone to the bracelet.  

 Since the focus was my jewelry pieces I kept the gift box quite simple- an unused plastic stamp case filled with some crimped paper filler and tied with a satin vanilla ribbon.  The gift card was made with the Mixed Bunch stamp set and matching flower punch. 

I mentioned these were extra special to me yesterday so I'll tell you why.  Not only are these my very first attempt at making jewelry, but I used my mom's huge stash of jewelry making supplies.

As some of you may recall my dear mom passed away very suddenly last July 6th.  She was an avid jewelry maker and most of my favorite necklaces, bracelets and earrings are all her designs!  In her honor I decided to give it a try- something I've always wanted to do. 

My dad sent me all her stuff- including how-to books thank heavens!  And as I was trying to figure out what to do I came across the beginnings of a two-strand bracelet that she had started.  No beads yet, but she'd done the hard part of putting the findings together for one end. 

That was my only jewelry making "lesson" I'd ever gotten from her and the inspiration to attempt a two strand bracelet instead of something more basic.  So now you know why they were so special to me and why I made my little gift card a Mother's Day card. 

So thanks for sticking with me on my Artisan Award journey, even though it didn't end as I'd hoped.  Hopefully the timing will work out for me to try again next year.  Have a safe weekend and hug your loved ones while you can!
~Kristin

PS- Just this past week I've attempted another jewelry design.  When it is complete I will post it here, even though it will be non stamping related entirely.  Maybe I'll start another page on my blog for jewelry!

4 comments:

  1. Quite impressive!! What a sweet way to honor your mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First and foremost Kristin, My sympathies and thoughts go out to you for the loss of your Mom. What a great tribute to her. I love your jewelry and you did a great job. Aren't our dies wonderful for hanging those.
    Hugs, Bev

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Jewelry! Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing. This was a wonderful tribute and memory you shared about your mother. Your artisan entries were simply wonderful. I love your style and everything on your site. It is one of my favorite spots to come and visit.
    Thanks, Heidi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much- your comments make my day! (if you are a spammer- GO AWAY! I will not publish your comment or your link to your crappy website! You are the reason I no longer allow anonymous comments. Jerks!)